Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I finally won a round!

This morning I walked into Evan's room and he was awake. He said, "No, I sleepy, I sleepy." I already have a teenager on my hands. He did not want to get up. So rather than rush him as I usually (have to) do, I embraced it. I sat down on his bed and made the blue Lightning McQueen happy and mad (he has eyes that you can move around). That got a smile. So then I did it to Evan...pushed the space between his eyebrows up and down saying, "Happy and mad." Then I did it to Daisy. He really liked that. I sweet talked him into a hug and made that the segway to the changing table. We actually got out in a decent amount of time whereas it could have been a battle every step of the way.

He was the first one at school this morning. His choice of the toys. I asked him, "What do you want to play with?" He gestured to this (NEW!) table set up with dinosaurs. And pulled a chair up to sit down to play with them. He has a lot of fun there.

I had a thought last night that maybe I am not being the best supervisor to my staff person that is here in the office. I am used to remotely supervising people who are in DC. And I am used to being remotely supervised. When I started here, I had a supervisor who insisted that I check in with her everyday to tell her what I am working on, etc. I hated that. I will call when I need your help or when it has been long enough to have something to say. And if I haven't told you what i am working on...I am probably still working on what I was working on yesterday. Are we adults? Anyhow, this guy (who is about 10-15 years older than me!!) asked to be supervised locally and was staffed to my team. I had the epiphany that maybe I wasn't giving him what he asked for. So we had a talk today. He very diplomatically told me that he would like more interaction. Always stings a bit when you know you haven't been doing your best. But at least I thought about it. The downside is that things are going to continue to be slow for a while on this job, so what do we talk about?

Anyhow, I am starving today. I can't seem to fill this bottomless pit.

Also, for those who have been telling me that you can't comment. If you click "comment" and then choose the Name/URL option, you can fill in your name and a URL (if you have a webpage) or just a name. :)

No comments: