Monday, September 19, 2011

IIB or not IIB

So, I got promoted. I am now a Band IIB (as opposed to a IIA). It means very little except that I am now officially a supervisor (even though I have been supervising for 5 years), that I have a chance at an office (everyone in HQ has an office after BandII, but not everyone in my field office does). It also means a small increase in pay, and that I can ultimately cap out at higher number at some distant year in the future. It still feels nice to be recognized by my bosses.

But here we all are, still terrified that we are going to lose our jobs. The House passed their appropriation and our numbers for FY12 were $36 million less than this year. They were talking about reductions in staff then. Normally, the Senate appropriations are a little more kind...historically, we usually get a little bit more money from them. But this year, they are recommending $42 million less than this year. Ugh. I am sure this hit our agency's heads hard. Our agency isn't like DOD in that it can just quick making a jet or something and save $1 billion. We are 85% people costs. So people are going to lose their jobs. The calculation into who and what offices are way more complicated than we are privy to. But there is a lot of fear and worry here in my office.

I just hope that I get an opportunity to try this promotion on for more than a couple of months. :(

1 comment:

shawnandlarissa said...

A lot of people at my current company have lost their jobs. They talk about budget cuts to create new jobs, but with that budget cut, someone's job is lost. They're just taking a job from one person to give it to someone else. What a crock. Here's hoping you get to keep yours!